Welcome

Welcome. This is the story of my journey to build a replica of a Sopwith Pup.
2/17/08 7:00

The plans arrived yesterday from Replicraft. They are good quality (plus I got a copied set of factory drawings) so, the project is a "go"! "Tooling up" is now underway. I've ordered a workbench from Grizzly, birch ply and spruce capstrip from Aircraft Spruce, brass screws from a woodwork supplier and after spending time yesterday scoping routers, bandsaws, sanders etc in the local hardware stores, I bought them all today. Interesting, I've lived in Oshkosh for 7 years and yesterday was the first time I have been in "Menards" hardware store... and I saw 2 people in there wearing EAA baseball caps!
After all this waiting it will be good to actually start doing some project work.

The replica aircraft section of the Aerodrome forum is - by a long way - the most helpful community resource out there. It's full of useful information and there's a great group of people involved. Also, Charlie Becker has been working on some "video hints for homebuilders" that EAA will be putting online soon. He showed me a few, they will be extremely useful - - - reading books, articles and browsing around internet forums is great, but it's very helpful to be able to actually see a task being done.

A very nice Zenith altimeter showed up on ebay last week... I set up a max bid of $601 on through Auctionsniper... thought I had a chance but there was someone else that really wanted it, and I was outbid at $611. This would have been perfect for the Pup... however, there is plenty of time yet before I'll be needing instruments!

No comments: