Welcome

Welcome. This is the story of my journey to build a replica of a Sopwith Pup.

Catching Up...

Oh dear... it has been a looooooong time since I updated the blog!

My main excuse is work - - I got quite seriously diverted by the big organizational "push" that we put into AirVenture this summer and never quite picked things up again afterwards.

It's not all bad news, there has been some progress. Over the summer I picked up a few bits & pieces from eBay. Here's a photo of my stash:



Which includes the Zenith altimeter restored and fully functional; a MkV pilot's stopwatch restored and fully functional, plus a replica housing that will attach it the dash; and two never-used Air Ministry brass magneto switches!

Visited Jack Kearbey not once but twice (will report on that in more detail at some future point). Placed a bid on an original 80hp Le Rhone in full working order with all accessories, but didn't get it (again, intend to post pictures & report later).

But progress on the actual project has been pretty slow. Jack kindly gave me a really nice piece of ash from which I can create a tailskid. Right now it's roughed-out and I am sanding it to a finish. I've also acquired the basswood for the instrument panel and all the material for the wing leading edges. Have been working out how to make those, and think that will be my starting point in the new year. My intent then is to do much better than over the past 6 months!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adam,
Welcome back... glad to see you back to work and can't wait to see your progress!

Rob