Welcome

Welcome. This is the story of my journey to build a replica of a Sopwith Pup.
5/10/08 10:00

Best day’s work in a long time. Stopped in at the Weeks hangar first to look at the Bleriot project which is really coming together, the fuselage is taking shape and the whole thing is starting to look like a real aeroplane. Glued up another rib… just two more to go before I have completed the full set of “Type A” ribs! Cut out enough webs for another 6 ribs or so. Will do the 12 “Type C” ribs next, because I have run out of 6ft lengths of capstrip and will need to order more from Aircraft Spruce; the “Type C” ribs are shorter so I can use up the many 5ft lengths that I have. Cleaned up about a month’s worth of sawdust. Got the scrollsaw working again… found that a fuse had popped. Stripped the paint from the Zenith altimeter, tidied up the corrosion and repainted it with black enamel. Visited the clock repair shop to see if they can fix the broken gear on the altimeter. The repairer was not in, but the assistant said he’s fixed aircraft instruments before, so I will stop in later in the week. Studied the plans for the first time in quite a while… I think I’ll order the spar and nosing material next, and also make the instrument panel. Overall it’s been quite a productive week. Alan Westby was in San Diego and shot a whole bunch of detail photos of their Pup. I also talked to Jack Kearbey in Tulsa who is building a Pup – made arrangements to pay him a visit in early June. His work is legendary.

No comments: